Recent Posts
SeC Gaming
the Lounge
New Lounge Topic
New Gaming Topic
Due to Bots, Database and Security issues, weve temporarily moved to www.speakeasyclinic.net

You are not connected. Please login or register

Facebook Acquires Oculus VR for 2 Billion Dollars

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Well there go my hopes for the project.

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/facebook-to-acquire-oculus-252328061.html

https://www.facebook.com/zuck/posts/10101319050523971?stream_ref=1

View user profile
Virtual reality FarmVille...... Sweet lmao

View user profile
Fuck humanity.

I can only hope that other companies/startups do something decent.

View user profile
Ars Diaboli wrote:Fuck humanity.

View user profile
Which reminds me. Sony is so damn lucky. First Microsoft shoots itself in the foot and basically gives away customers, practically making sure that Sony gets the most sales this generation.

Now Facebook fucks over Occulus, giving way for Sony's VR set.

View user profile
Ars Diaboli wrote:Which reminds me. Sony is so damn lucky. First Microsoft shoots itself in the foot and basically gives away customers, practically making sure that Sony gets the most sales this generation.

Now Facebook fucks over Occulus, giving way for Sony's VR set.

I was rereading over the press release and if they actually do what they are saying, it would mean that the launch of the first consumer model of the rift would not be changed by them. They would just use their resources to help kickstart the launch so to speak. They go on to say that oculus will work independently within facebook and that they will just help them foster connections and develop partnerships to support more games.

Now if that is actually true then it would be fantastic, probably the best launch we could hope for. This is mainly do to how much money facebook could throw around to get tons of games to support it. I have massive doubts about this, but there is at least some glimmer of hope.

View user profile
I had really high hopes for Occulus. Now I know they're going to fuck it up.

Although best case scenario is it gains some mainstream traction and VR really kicks off, so there's that. Only problem is that their end goal is probably to completely immerse us in it and harness our energy like batteries.



_________________
I wish I had spent more of my youth popping sick-ass ninety-day wheelies.

You in fact feel flowing and you truthfully desire to speak. I know the final obsession you wish for to do is remain at the clinic or at residence you want to get out and speak.  Like a Star @ heaven - Giles12
View user profile
I guess Notch is bailing on it because of this: http://notch.net/2014/03/virtual-reality-is-going-to-change-the-world/

Notch wrote: I definitely want to be a part of VR, but I will not work with Facebook. Their motives are too unclear and shifting, and they haven’t historically been a stable platform. There’s nothing about their history that makes me trust them, and that makes them seem creepy to me.

And I did not chip in ten grand to seed a first investment round to build value for a Facebook acquisition.

Remember this was a crowd funded project. People chipped in shitloads of money for it and they just sold it out like that.


_________________
I wish I had spent more of my youth popping sick-ass ninety-day wheelies.

You in fact feel flowing and you truthfully desire to speak. I know the final obsession you wish for to do is remain at the clinic or at residence you want to get out and speak.  Like a Star @ heaven - Giles12
View user profile
oh boy, while i'm completely immersed in a game i'll still be able to get facebook notifications!

View user profile
I'm gonna hold out hope for a bit.

Personally, I'm ok with a facebook connected oculus rift. it might be ok. But if they turn it into some bullshit shadow of what it should have been, I give up.

View user profile
Tom wrote:
Ars Diaboli wrote:Which reminds me. Sony is so damn lucky. First Microsoft shoots itself in the foot and basically gives away customers, practically making sure that Sony gets the most sales this generation.

Now Facebook fucks over Occulus, giving way for Sony's VR set.

I was rereading over the press release and if they actually do what they are saying, it would mean that the launch of the first consumer model of the rift would not be changed by them. They would just use their resources to help kickstart the launch so to speak. They go on to say that oculus will work independently within facebook and that they will just help them foster connections and develop partnerships to support more games.

Now if that is actually true then it would be fantastic, probably the best launch we could hope for. This is mainly do to how much money facebook could throw around to get tons of games to support it. I have massive doubts about this, but there is at least some glimmer of hope.
It's bullshit and you know it.

It will be plagued by Facebook ads and information gathering. I've ignored Facebook since forever, but it keeps shitting up stuff I like and I simply can't ignore them because they appear whether I want them to or not.

Also, John Carmack is working for Facebook now. ;_;

View user profile
Sounds good to me. Serves all you PC tards right.


_________________
View user profile
two BILLION dollars though.

fuck, who wouldnt sell out?

View user profile
Epyk MD wrote:two BILLION dollars though.

fuck, who wouldnt sell out?

Yeah, you would have to be a moron not to sell at that price. Honestly what in the holy fuck is facebook even thinking with that price?

It will take it years or even decades to ever make that much money back. For 2 billion they could have staffed their own start up VR lab and had something better up and running by years end.


_________________
View user profile
Epyk MD wrote:two BILLION dollars though.

fuck, who wouldnt sell out?

Facebook bought some IM application for $19 billion dollars. This is a technology that was mastered in the 90's.

The Rift on the other hand is a likely revolutionary piece of hardware and they got about a tenth of that.

I have a feeling they could have done a bit better.


_________________
I wish I had spent more of my youth popping sick-ass ninety-day wheelies.

You in fact feel flowing and you truthfully desire to speak. I know the final obsession you wish for to do is remain at the clinic or at residence you want to get out and speak.  Like a Star @ heaven - Giles12
View user profile
It's honestly pretty scummy for them to sell it considering it was a kickstarter project.

View user profile
chunckylover53 wrote:It's honestly pretty scummy for them to sell it considering it was a kickstarter project.

$2billion.

you think a $2m kickstarter is going to be able to take on SONY? you are not going to be able to compete against the tech giants unless you have lots of money, say... $2billion.

View user profile
The Adli Corporation wrote:
chunckylover53 wrote:It's honestly pretty scummy for them to sell it considering it was a kickstarter project.

$2billion.

you think a $2m kickstarter is going to be able to take on SONY? you are not going to be able to compete against the tech giants unless you have lots of money, say... $2billion.

Doesn't matter, they begged people for money then they sold out as soon as it was worth something.

They should at least pay back everyone who contributed.

View user profile
The Adli Corporation wrote:
chunckylover53 wrote:It's honestly pretty scummy for them to sell it considering it was a kickstarter project.

$2billion.

you think a $2m kickstarter is going to be able to take on SONY? you are not going to be able to compete against the tech giants unless you have lots of money, say... $2billion.

Isn't Morpheus just a PS4 thing though? It wouldn't really be in competition with them.




_________________
I wish I had spent more of my youth popping sick-ass ninety-day wheelies.

You in fact feel flowing and you truthfully desire to speak. I know the final obsession you wish for to do is remain at the clinic or at residence you want to get out and speak.  Like a Star @ heaven - Giles12
View user profile
I saw on the news this morning that Facebook stock dropped quite a bit over this.
Haven't seen anything on it since though.

I still can't think of why they would buy them out instead of develop their own.


_________________
View user profile
They can just drop money, so I guess they don't care about 2 billions. Fuck, they bought WhatsApp for 19 or something.

I do agree with you that they could just as well develop their own, since the Oculus brand isn't that strong yet to be worth its name alone.

View user profile
Ars Diaboli wrote:They can just drop money, so I guess they don't care about 2 billions. Fuck, they bought WhatsApp for 19 or something.

I do agree with you that they could just as well develop their own, since the Oculus brand isn't that strong yet to be worth its name alone.

Exactly.
The could hire 100 of the best-of-the best, pay them each 1 million for the year with a nearly 1 billion R&D budget, give them a few hundred support staff and still come out 1 billion ahead.

They would also end up with something far better than what some biscuit headed start-ups funded via kickstarter have done.

It just doesn't make sense. It isn't like this is a new idea. It's been around forever. Hell, we owned a stereoscopic VR headset back in the late 90's. It cost over a grand and only worked with a few games, but playing Descent on it was badass.


_________________
View user profile

Sponsored content


View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum