Recent Posts
SeC Gaming
the Lounge
New Lounge Topic
New Gaming Topic
Due to Bots, Database and Security issues, weve temporarily moved to www.speakeasyclinic.net

You are not connected. Please login or register

This be quite amusing

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 This be quite amusing on 2013-12-11, 10:13

http://news.yahoo.com/chinese-government-tries-to-spin-smog-as-a-healthy-benefit--and-aid-to-national-defense-174649885.html

In America, we're used to our government, our industry and our media putting a spin on events to make the world seem a brighter, better place than it really is. But China is showing some impressive spin talent of its own, with a rationalization for pollution that is, quite literally, breathtaking.
Much of China has been suffering through choking smog in recent weeks, which has hampered daily activities and forced the closure of schools. In response, the government published a list of reasons documenting the benefits of smog. Yes, benefits.
Time magazine translator indicated that Global Times offered up the following rationalizations for smog:
1. It unifies the Chinese people. 
2. It makes China more equal. 
3. It raises citizen awareness of the cost of China’s economic development. 
4. It makes people funnier. 
5. It makes people more knowledgeable (of things like meteorology and the English word haze).
That's some interesting rationalization. Following that line of thinking, hurricanes also unify people by forcing them to leave their isolated homes and gather in collectives. Tornadoes give people a sense of the power of nature. Wildfires place everyone on an equal footing by burning everyone's possessions to the ground. See? The problem isn't nature, the problem is you.
Oh, but the disinformation campaign wasn't done. The Global Times, a newspaper connected to the Communist Party's preferred publication the People's Daily, noted that smog has a defensive benefit. “Smog may affect people’s health and daily lives," the newspaper wrote, "but on the battlefield, it can serve as a defensive advantage in military operations." The article pointed to military operations in Kosovo and Saudi Arabia that used smoke as a means of obscuring the enemy's sight lines and fouling electronic equipment. This takes "we had to burn the village to save it" to a completely new level.
Assuming these comments are real — and the Chinese government historically has little patience for satire — it's a stunning attempt to deceive a populace about the true seriousness of a man-made environmental threat.
In future weeks, expect the Chinese government to endorse smoking (toughens your lungs!), junk food (purchasing larger items of clothing helps the textile industry!) and reality television (gives you a healthy distrust of your closest friends and family!).
Contact Jay Busbee at jay.busbee@yahoo.com or on Twitter at @jaybusbee.

View user profile

2 Re: This be quite amusing on 2013-12-11, 10:31

My eyes....

View user profile

3 Re: This be quite amusing on 2013-12-11, 11:57

Its a wonder that they don't do something about the smog that they produce. I suppose its part of the reason why China can produce such cheap products since they don't have to worry about regulating pollution, but damn. If its that bad you kinda have to do something.

View user profile

4 Re: This be quite amusing on 2013-12-11, 12:22

Ron Swanson wrote:Its a wonder that they don't do something about the smog that they produce. I suppose its part of the reason why China can produce such cheap products since they don't have to worry about regulating pollution, but damn. If its that bad you kinda have to do something.

yeah, its like London back before the clean air act. apparently 4000 people died from Smog in 1952 :S

but now we have the Clean Air Act, thank god for that.

View user profile

5 Re: This be quite amusing on 2013-12-11, 12:39

The Adli Corporation wrote:
Ron Swanson wrote:Its a wonder that they don't do something about the smog that they produce. I suppose its part of the reason why China can produce such cheap products since they don't have to worry about regulating pollution, but damn. If its that bad you kinda have to do something.

yeah, its like London back before the clean air act. apparently 4000 people died from Smog in 1952 :S

but now we have the Clean Air Act, thank god for that.

Yeah Clean air is the best... I hate the smell of a densly populated city ... country living for me

View user profile

6 Re: This be quite amusing on 2013-12-11, 12:44

menacinglemon wrote:Yeah Clean air is the best... I hate the smell of a densly populated city ... country living for me

i went to Havana at christmas, black smoke coming out of the back of cars from the 60's. the air was a brown haze in the city, nasty stuff.

View user profile

7 Re: This be quite amusing on 2013-12-11, 13:13

Yeah when flying into St. Petersburg, Russia ... all you see is factorys with black smoke coming out of the smoke stacks.... city itself is beautiful...but man sometimes you can see the smog (also no drinking tap water)

View user profile

8 Re: This be quite amusing on 2013-12-11, 13:22

menacinglemon wrote:Yeah Clean air is the best... I hate the smell of a densly populated city ... country living for me

i went to Havana at christmas, black smoke coming out of the back of cars from the 60's. the air was a brown haze in the city, nasty stuff.

Did those cars also have "save the planet, kill yourself" bumper stickers? First time I ever saw one of those I was a kid, and my dad pointed out that their car produced more polution than most.

View user profile

9 Re: This be quite amusing on 2013-12-11, 13:33

Ron Swanson wrote:Its a wonder that they don't do something about the smog that they produce. I suppose its part of the reason why China can produce such cheap products since they don't have to worry about regulating pollution, .

That's exactly why. The reason why a ton of manufacturers uprooted and took their business to china is because they can produce products at a much much cheaper rate because there pretty much is no rules.    But there's plenty of downsides, they're losing their technology to the chinese and the product quality is questionable, this is something that they'll understand in a few more years when they kick the U.S. out in return and they make their own products from said stolen technology.

All about that dollar, kill your own people and everyone else to get it.

View user profile

10 Re: This be quite amusing on 2013-12-11, 13:49

I believe there also isn't as much regulation and protection for the workers in the factories either, which saves them money but is really sad.

View user profile

11 Re: This be quite amusing on 2013-12-11, 14:05

China is a fucked up place in comparison to the US. Its really kinda hard to wrap my head around since all I know about it is based off possibly biased reports, and 40 year old text books.

View user profile

12 Re: This be quite amusing on 2013-12-11, 14:09

Ron Swanson wrote:China is a fucked up place in comparison to the US. Its really kinda hard to wrap my head around since all I know about it is based off possibly biased reports, and 40 year old text books.

I could think of worse places to live than China.....but yea wouldn't be my top choice.

13 Re: This be quite amusing on 2013-12-11, 14:14

sheep wrote:

Did those cars also have "save the planet, kill yourself" bumper stickers? First time I ever saw one of those I was a kid, and my dad pointed out that their car produced more polution than most.

no, they are just from the 60's, so they dont have catalytic converters. they also cant get repairs since they are classic 60's cars and since the US has a trade embargo with Cuba, parts are even harder to come by Razz

View user profile

14 Re: This be quite amusing on 2013-12-11, 19:38

Theyre lucky the air wasn't like this when the Olympics were there. Can you imagine trying to run a marathon in that? Would have been an embarrassment.

View user profile

15 Re: This be quite amusing on 2013-12-11, 19:42

I thought LA was bad.....ew

View user profile

16 Re: This be quite amusing on 2013-12-11, 19:51

Dropped Da Soap wrote:I thought LA was bad.....ew

A lot of the smog over LA is from china, buddy.

View user profile

17 Re: This be quite amusing on 2013-12-11, 19:52

They have "Smog Days" where school is cancelled and such, because the smog is thick enough to be considered an immediate health threat.

View user profile

18 Re: This be quite amusing on 2013-12-11, 20:08

View user profile

19 Re: This be quite amusing on 2013-12-11, 21:51

That's so horrible.

I'd be curious to hear what the penguin has to say since he's living there.

View user profile

20 Re: This be quite amusing on 2013-12-11, 21:54

sheep wrote:That's so horrible.

I'd be curious to hear what the penguin has to say since he's living there.

i think he's in Hong Kong. not sure if the air is any different though.

View user profile

21 Re: This be quite amusing on 2013-12-11, 22:00

sometimes when i read about china and hong kong, they seem like two unrelated places.

View user profile

22 Re: This be quite amusing on 2013-12-11, 22:13

They sorta are epyk, Hong Kong was still under britsh rule until the late 90's. So the local attitudes are slighly different to rest of China

View user profile

23 Re: This be quite amusing on 2013-12-12, 00:15

Hong Kong seems a lot more like soeul/Tokyo than Shanghai

View user profile

24 Re: This be quite amusing on 2013-12-12, 00:18

Yeah the Chinese in Hong Kong are Gentrified

They wear Monocles underneath their Paddy hats

View user profile

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum