Recent Posts
SeC Gaming
the Lounge
New Lounge Topic
New Gaming Topic
Due to Bots, Database and Security issues, weve temporarily moved to www.speakeasyclinic.net

You are not connected. Please login or register

Living man told he is legally dead by court

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

http://gawker.com/living-man-told-he-is-legally-dead-by-court-1444328116

In 1994, an Ohio court declared Donald E. Miller Jr. dead. He had been missing for several years and his wife needed to formalize his death to qualify her daughters for social security benefits. On Monday, Donald E. Miller appeared in court to testify on behalf of his own existence. He lost.

Almost twenty years after he was declared legally dead, Miller reappeared on the front lawn of his former wife's home, having fled from Ohio in 1986 while dealing with alcoholism and unemployment.

"My paycheck was being taken away from me and I had nothing left," Miller told the court. "It kind of went further than I ever expected it to. I just kind of took off, ended up in different places."

Miller, now 61, wants his social security number reactivated and would like to apply for a driver's license. Unfortunately, Ohio state law does not allow for a declaration of death to be reversed after three years have passed since the declaration. On Monday, Judge Allan H. Davis of Hancock County Probate Court, who had declared Miller dead in 1994, declared him legally dead again with Miller in attendance.

“I don’t know where that leaves you, but you’re still deceased as far as the law is concerned,” Judge Davis told Miller on Monday.

The former Ms. Miller (who, coincidentally, remarried a man also with the surname Miller, so I guess the once-and-always Ms. Miller is more accurate), is also fighting against her former husband's resurrection. If he comes back to life, Ms. Miller would have to pay back years of benefit payments for her daughters.

Stranger still, it seems like the reconciliation between Ms. Miller and her former (legally dead) husband was pretty amiable.

View user profile
Seen this a while ago. Wonder how long it'll take for the IRS to step in when he doesn't pay his taxes since he's dead.

View user profile
I wonder what would happen if hr broke some laws. I am sure they would be pretty quick to declare him legally alive if that happened.

View user profile
But, if he doesn't have a 'valid' social security #, doesn't that potentially mean he can't even get a job?

I would think there would be some issues if you gave a number (yours or not) and they found you were dead.

View user profile
At least his wife does not have to pay back all those benefits

View user profile
Frostbyrn wrote:At least his wife does not have to pay back all those benefits
Well, unless he gets his dead status revoked. Then she'll have to.

View user profile
This sounds like he should be doing some twilight zone shit right about now.

View user profile
yeah he should break some laws, you can't lock a deadman up lmao

View user profile
God dammit government you don't make any sense.

You in fact feel flowing and you truthfully desire to speak. I know the final obsession you wish for to do is remain at the clinic or at residence you want to get out and speak.  Like a Star @ heaven - Giles12
View user profile
Can he be murdered?

View user profile
Welp.

View user profile
Im genuinely curious about what happens if you kill someone who is legally dead

View user profile
same

View user profile

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum: