Recent Posts
SeC Gaming
the Lounge
New Lounge Topic
New Gaming Topic
Due to Bots, Database and Security issues, weve temporarily moved to www.speakeasyclinic.net

You are not connected. Please login or register

I got turned down for another job today

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Pretty frikkin depressing. I had a chance to work with an awesome professor in his lab, the guy liked me and I was fascinated by his work. I was one of four finalists for two spots, out of an initial batch of 40. He split us up by two and did a coin toss, since we were all undergrads, freshmen and sophomores, and equally qualified. I lost my chance to work an amazing job, all off of a coin toss.

coupled with the rejection from the book shop down the street, I feel like complete shit.

View user profile
That sucks man, but look at the bright side.
You were top 10% and through no fault of your own you didn't get it.

That's good. Something will turn up.

View user profile
still doesn't help. With the bookstore, I would have had a job, but they already had enough people (So why keep the "now hiring" sign up?).

View user profile
I have also been having issues getting a job, to be fair though I am just applying online. I honestly think it is impossible to get a minimum wage job this way. Also fuck personality and timed tests.

View user profile

Everybody has a hard time getting a job

took me almost 7 months.

View user profile

Remember how long I was unemployed before I started school?

Im 27 with a great work history, and even I couldnt get a job.

Tom wrote:I have also been having issues getting a job, to be fair though I am just applying online. I honestly think it is impossible to get a minimum wage job this way. Also fuck personality and timed tests.
My last year of college (this past school year) that was all i did.... I don't think it works. Better off just handing in a resume everywhere.... I mean everywhere...

Wish I hadn't gone on Excuse from Drill and Training that year, but it was needed for my grades.

But yeah also something to do is volunteer as much as possible in a related field that you are studying, because when a job says experience required....it counts. Something I know for when I go back to school in a year or so.

EDIT: Also its good to do a bunch of interviews even if you dont get a job...its good to ask what was wring or something along those lines with the interviewer, gives you something more to prepare for for the next one.

View user profile
Pariah wrote:still doesn't help. With the bookstore, I would have had a job, but they already had enough people (So why keep the "now hiring" sign up?).
In that case I take it back.

I talked to the professor again today, just to see if I was actually underqualified to work there and didn't know it. Turns out that I was better qualified for the job, having actual work experience in a lab, but he wanted to be perfectly fair to all the students who applied. Makes me feel kinda cheated, knowing that I should have had the job but was turned down by pure chance.

On the bright side, the disappointment really pushed me into productivity. I worked for about 10 hours today on homework, finishing about 90% of a chemistry problem set, two labs and getting through 10 chapters of reading. And some subway for lunch actually did cheer me up.

View user profile
Fucking nerd Very Happy

View user profile
Fuck off, lard-assed net monkey. Very Happy

View user profile
We prefer the term Sexy ass Networkers Very Happy

View user profile
Pariah with rage in his heart wrote:Makes me feel kinda cheated, knowing that I should have had the job but was turned down by pure chance.
Welcome to the post apocalyptic world of women's rights. It's all been downhill since.

that made me laugh harder than I should have, thanks Metal xD

View user profile
Dude Madison is stock full of places. Just poke your head in every shop and restaurant down Main St. and see if anyone is hiring. Sure, if you have to start at Ian's pizza or a corner store it will suck, but you only have to work there for a little while until you get "real" job experience. My sister and her husband (they weren't married at the time) worked together at one of the campus lunch places, and they said it was one of the best jobs ever. Everyone just fucked around, and had a one hour mandatory, "bucket time" where they just sat and talked before each shift.

Good luck though, keep me posted! If you work at a restaurant I'll be sure to stop by when I visit Mad-Town Very Happy

View user profile
Campus lunch places?

Oh you mean that Kebab place with the E rating? Very Happy

View user profile
Or the like 8 food places on my old campus

View user profile
We still love you. (usually)

View user profile

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum