Recent Posts
SeC Gaming
the Lounge
New Lounge Topic
New Gaming Topic
We've moved to Discord

You are not connected. Please login or register

[Sound] Entry level studio grade headphone, any recommendation?

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

I don't even know why I am keep spending...

BUT, I am now interested in some quality sound equipments that I have neglected until now.

I am NOT looking for something that will cost as much as my video card... LoL

So any recommendation?

Also, I don't think one exists, but are there any headset types?

The M-Audio Q40s are also great for their price range, although they are a bit heavy on the low end, and can be a bit tiring to wear.

You might also want to check out the KRK Rokit 6s, which are nicely priced, small (6 inch cone) nearfield studio monitor speakers, although a pair of these will likely cost as much as your sound card. Also, monitor speakers may not be what you're looking for in a purely gaming setting, since monitor speaking can be quite fatiguing when used for simply for playback, but you can get used to it.

View user profile
Sound card level is ok. Just not GTX Titan level...

I guess I cant really use it as regular use I suppose.

Would you mind a little more description on "can be quite fatiguing"?

I will start looking for ones in recommendation, and other ones that are in that range.

EDIT: Just some specs on my current headset Astro A40 2013 Edition. Maybe useful when you guys are recommending.

Also, not sure if it really matters, but my current sound card supports 600ohms headphone.

From what I read, your soundcard sounds like one nice piece of audio equipment. I also noticed that for it's price it doesn't actually have any features aimed at recording music, which I think is a good thing, as it means more value towards what you need from it, in this case, just audio playback. Your sound card is above par for sure.

StormEye wrote:
I guess I cant really use it as regular use I suppose.

I lost you here...
If by regular use, you mean gaming audio, than yes, you're good to go.

StormEye wrote:
Would you mind a little more description on "can be quite fatiguing"?

When I refer to fatigue, I mean in combination with nearfield studio monitors. By design, speakers designated for professional of home studios, aim to be as flat across the frequency spectrum as possible (since these kind of speakers are geared towards audio production, this is logical). This flat frequency response, while needed for audio production (i.e. mixing), can be fatiguing on the ear, as human hearing is anything but flat. Those extra lows and extra crunchy and chirpy highs, can be a bit of a sensory overload after long periods of time, although I have noticed this to mostly be true with critical listening, usually done when mixing. When playing games, critical listening doesn't usually occur. At most you're listening for footsteps of some shit that has to do with the game, but not listening to gauge how much lows, mids and highs are in that footstep.

In contrast to monitor speakers, you could also look into simple high end speakers, which would probably be more suited for your needs and whereas the price ranges might be slightly more forgiving. That is not to say you can't go overboard there as well.

View user profile
Also, the headphones are reccomended aren't for gaming, which mean that they don't have a mic on them. Still great though. But if you're looking for gaming headsets exclusively, well...I dunno.

View user profile
Mic is not necessary, since I have currently usable headsets if mic is required. On top of that, the control module on my sound card has built in beam forming mic (not tested on how good it is, but I presume it works at least on basic level).

What I meant by "Sound card level is ok. Just not GTX Titan level..." is for the price of headphone. So price range similar to my sound card is fine. But, thanks for the nice analysis.

"I guess I cant really use it as regular use I suppose." Thats in response to possibility of monitoring headphones 'can be quite fatiguing', as it might be too tiresome to wear it 24/7. But as you mentioned, unless I am really keen on monitoring sound, I suppose I would be ok.

Also, I don't know whether you had a chance to look at my edited post, but if you have any knowledge of it, I would like to know if there is any real benefit in 600ohms headphones.

"I guess I cant really use it as regular use I suppose." Thats in response to possibility of monitoring headphones 'can be quite fatiguing', as it might be too tiresome to wear it 24/7. But as you mentioned, unless I am really keen on monitoring sound, I suppose I would be ok.

When I refer to fatigue in "monitors" I was generally speaking about actual speakers, not headphones, as fatigue is a lot more prevalent in speakers of the sort, at least as far as the frequency content is concerned (although don't get me wring, this is something that you can become accustomed to).

Monitor headphones can be fatiguing for their own reasons, ranging from weight, tightness, how comfortable they are on the shape of your ears to my psycho-acoustic reasons such as isolation from real world sound around you (although, this can also vary greatly from person to person).

Since you have a working set of headphones with mic for gaming, I stand by my recommendation of the Audio Technica ATH-M50s.

One last thing, since headphones are to be worn on heads and human heads vary, it might also be a good idea to actually try some different headsets on for size. I suspect most audio equipment stores have departments with monitor headphones. Just make sure to bring some music that you are very familiar with, to get a better bearing on how the pair actually sounds. And don't be a chump, don't bring mp3s...

StormEye wrote:
Also, I don't know whether you had a chance to look at my edited post, but if you have any knowledge of it, I would like to know if there is any real benefit in 600ohms headphones.

Not necessarily. It basically means that they will be less taxing on your amplifier.

This probably answers your question better (the response right under the question).
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20101217233819AA3UD4T

Imagining sound as water and cables as plumbing has always helped me to get my head around ohm resistance ("Z") in sound.

When resistance is high, it's like opening a tap a bit. When low, a lot.

View user profile
I second the Audio Technica ATH-M50s I also have a pair of those and they sound great though they are bulky because of closed back design which helps block out outside sounds but it makes the headphones heavier and I notice some headphone fatigue after wearing them for 4 or 5 hours. By headphone fatigue I mean it get's uncomfortable to wear them...not the same fatigue Greg is talking about.

I also have a pair of Sennheiser HD-558s and those are also awesome headphones. Sound quality is great and they are nice and light due to an open back design. If you won't be in an especially noisy area when gaming or listening to music I'd recommend you get the Sennheisers. They are a little more expensive than the ATH-M50s but I can wear my Sennheisers for 8+ hours and not have any headphone fatigue at all.

Either way though you can't go wring with the sound quality you'll get from either of the headphones I mentioned.

View user profile
Shotgun Dismemberment wrote:
StormEye wrote:

Not necessarily. It basically means that they will be less taxing on your amplifier.

umm wouldn't 600 Ohm headphones be more taxing on an amp not to mention have less output depending on the output stage of the amp?

well I guess most headphone amps would be solid state so a super high impedance would drastically reduce the watts the amp can pump out.

View user profile
HydrasBreath wrote:
Shotgun Dismemberment wrote:
StormEye wrote:

umm wouldn't 600 Ohm headphones be more taxing on an amp not to mention have less output depending on the output stage of the amp?

No, not really, as higher impedance means lesser power needed.

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Does_higher_ohm_rating_mean_better_sound_quality

The Amplifier

Ideally an amplifier should be a constant voltage source. That is, for a given input signal, the amplifier should produce a constant voltage across the speaker terminals whatever the load. For example, if the amplifier is producing 20 Volts at the output terminals, Ohms law (R=V/I) tells us that there are 50 watts being fed into an 8 Ohm speaker (watts equal voltage squared divided by impedance). If we connect a 4 Ohm speaker, halving the original load, the same 20 Volts would now produce 100 watts, and further, 200 watts into 2 Ohms. From this example we clearly see that each time the load resistance is halved, the amplifier should ideally double its output. This high current capability is especially important if the loudspeaker impedance dips into a very low range.
http://www.gcaudio.com/resources/howtos/spkramp.html

Higher impedance=less wattage

At least, I think this is correct. My understanding on the matter has always been a bit uncertain to say the least, as impedance (or the electrical physics in general) in sound has always been one of my worst subjects in sound engineering. A pet peeves of sorts...

View user profile
Yeah higher impedance gives you less watts which is your output. so let's say you have a pair of 600 ohm headphones and a pair of 300 ohm headphones. You'll have to turn the volume knob on your amp higher to get the same volume with the 600 ohm cans as you would if you used the 300 ohm cans because the 600 ohm would be putting out less watts.

If you aren't concerned with power consumption then you should always go with the lower impedance as long as your amp can handle the higher volts that will be put out due to the lower impedance. If your amp isn't designed to handle low ohmage it'll fry because resistance is inversely proportional to voltage. Ohms go up volts go down, ohms go down volts go up.

View user profile
600 Ohms headphones are generally pretty hard to drive. You need to take sensitivity into account too though, higher sensitivity = easier to drive. There isn't really a benefit to 600 Ohms headphones as far as regular music listening goes. I think it might have something to do with being less taxing to plug multiple one's into the same device but nothing you would care about.

The SoundBlaster Z series is actually about as good as it gets for music listening, its specs are well into the overkill range. It says it can drive 600 Ohm headphone's too, but remember they might not be able to get all that loud depending on their sensitivity(I think sensitivity is pretty standard as far as headphone's go).

But anyways I disagree with flat = fatiguing. I'd say this only holds true if you really like bass and adjust your volume accordingly. Music is mostly mastered using flat speakers so you're hearing what's meant to be heard.

As far as headset types - for the most part they're garbage(for their prices). I think the Sennheiser PC360 is decent though. But you might be better of getting an Antlion modmic.

As far as "Studio" headphone's go - don't look for headphones only labeled as studio headphones. It can be used as a marketing term a lot. If there are certain characteristics you want(closed back, neutral sound signature) look for headphone's with that.

But what's your budget exactly? Not as much as a titan so... $998?

You in fact feel flowing and you truthfully desire to speak. I know the final obsession you wish for to do is remain at the clinic or at residence you want to get out and speak.  Like a Star @ heaven - Giles12
View user profile
For budget, I am willing to spend to upwards of $600 if that is the only way I can start to experience the benefits.

But as all budgets go, cheaper is the better. I am still not in the mindset, when it comes to sound, as I am to the other components that have "direct and noticeable" impact on my overall experience.

I think I saw some higher end (not to audiophiles, but to regular consumers) gear at around $300~400 range, so I thought that was pretty much where I would had been shooting for.

But as all budgets go, cheaper is the better. I am still not in the mindset, when it comes to sound, as I am to the other components that have "direct and noticeable" impact on my overall experience.

I think I saw some higher end (not to audiophiles, but to regular consumers) gear at around $300~400 range, so I thought that was pretty much where I would had been shooting for.

The value per dollar of headphone's starts to decrease well before you get into the $600 range.

These things get a lot of great reviews form audiophiles for $300 - https://www.mrspeakers.com/Audiophile-fostex-t50rp-upgrades-mrspeakers-mad-dog

I'm pretty sure the ZxR will be able to drive them(they're pretty low sensitivity), but if not you can get a Schiit Magni for about $100 which can drive pretty much anything but electrostats.

My headphones(HE-400) are also awesome, but they might not be what you're looking for - not exactly studio headphones since they are very open backed and block absolutely no sound.

Some other praised headphones around that range are the Beyerdynamic DT880 and Sennheiser 600. They are also open backed but most headphone's are in that range. Probably don't leak nearly as much as the HE-400's though.

The Mad Dogs may be some of the best closed back headphones before getting into >$1000 from what I've read, at least ever since Denon discontinued its good headphone line.

You in fact feel flowing and you truthfully desire to speak. I know the final obsession you wish for to do is remain at the clinic or at residence you want to get out and speak.  Like a Star @ heaven - Giles12
View user profile
Yeah if you're spending 400$ on cans it'll be hard not to like the sound quality they have. And if you don't have a super discerning ear storm you could get something in the 150-200 dollar range and be more than happy with what you get.

The headphones me and Greg recommended should be in that range.

View user profile
This is probably what I will start looking at first, if its the one you guys mentioned.

Edit: And now I know exactly where to get it from. Its not far from my place.

Edit2: Out of curiosity, and mentioned in second post's edit (if nobody noticed), how does my current headset Astro A40 2013 Ed be rated for audio quality? Not sure if there are enough details for you guys to rate anything, but just wondering.

But anyways I disagree with flat = fatiguing. I'd say this only holds true if you really like bass and adjust your volume accordingly. Music is mostly mastered using flat speakers so you're hearing what's meant to be heard.

I was thinking mostly from the standpoint of someone not accustomed to flat listening and also from a critical listening point of view.

View user profile
HydrasBreath wrote:Yeah higher impedance gives you less watts which is your output. so let's say you have a pair of 600 ohm headphones and a pair of 300 ohm headphones. You'll have to turn the volume knob on your amp higher to get the same volume with the 600 ohm cans as you would if you used the 300 ohm cans because the 600 ohm would be putting out less watts.

If you aren't concerned with power consumption then you should always go with the lower impedance as long as your amp can handle the higher volts that will be put out due to the lower impedance. If your amp isn't designed to handle low ohmage it'll fry because resistance is inversely proportional to voltage. Ohms go up volts go down, ohms go down volts go up.

Ok, that makes sense. Thanks.

View user profile
StormEye wrote:This is probably what I will start looking at first, if its the one you guys mentioned.

Yeah, that's what I got. I've heard a lot of headphones in the same price range and these are very decent. They're also very durable. I take mine everywhere, including half a dozen trans-atlantic flights, they're still in good condition.

What Chewy said holds true though, once you reach the 600 mark, you get more bang for your buck.

View user profile
StormEye wrote:This is probably what I will start looking at first, if its the one you guys mentioned.

Edit: And now I know exactly where to get it from. Its not far from my place.

Edit2: Out of curiosity, and mentioned in second post's edit (if nobody noticed), how does my current headset Astro A40 2013 Ed be rated for audio quality? Not sure if there are enough details for you guys to rate anything, but just wondering.

Well as for your current headset it's hard to tell from just the specs as most headphones these days will have pretty similar specs unless you look at the super duper cheapo ones.

Specs aren't everything what really matters is the quality of the drivers and the technology used in them and also their frequency response curve.

I've never tried your headset so I can't say anything really in regards to their quality but I can pretty much guarantee that the ATH-M50s will be a million times better in terms of sound quality as they are a reference quality headset.

View user profile
The price of ATH-M50 is surprisingly cheap it seems. Thought it would be higher than that.

If its pretty much a good standard, and its at this good price, I guess I dont have to look any further. Unless of course, it feels not so good on my head, when I try it.

As for them being cheap...most people probably wouldn't think 150-200 is cheap for a pair of headphones. It's probably considered lower midrange as far as studio cans go. Entry level starts at like 40 bucks. The original 300-400 you wanted to spend is starting to get in the low range of the upper echelon of headphones.

at least in my opinion.

View user profile
M50's were very highly praised on head-fi and such for a long time. Then they rose their price from the $120 they used to be and they started to receive some hate. Still plenty of love for them though.

Measurement wise they do look like good cans for the price. A little on the bass heavy side but nothing too extreme.

View user profile

What do you guys think of the A700x? My current headphones are breaking and I need a new pair (fuck sony and their 3 month warranty). Heard these have a much better sound stage compared to the M50's and other closed cans.

I haven't heard much about the A700x, but the AD700 is known as one of the best competitive gaming headphones.

View user profile
Chewy wrote:M50's were very highly praised on head-fi and such for a long time. Then they rose their price from the $120 they used to be and they started to receive some hate. Still plenty of love for them though.

Measurement wise they do look like good cans for the price. A little on the bass heavy side but nothing too extreme.

With a closed back design you're gonna get an increase in bass. Just the way it goes pretty well.

I picked up my M50s when they were 150 and at that time they were the best headphones for the money. This was many years ago though.

View user profile
If I wanted to go one step above M50, what should I be looking for?

I just want to have it in mind, so that I can check if I can notice much difference.

I just want to have it in mind, so that I can check if I can notice much difference.

The Mad Dogs I listed Very Happy

But those are custom so I can't see you having anywhere to demo them.

I mean if you're looking for only closed that might be a bit harder, but plenty of open backed options. For something in a similar price range that is closed but more balanced check out Beyerdynamic DT770.

Also the Sony MDR-1R might be worth checking out as a step above.

View user profile
Someone I know offline suggested me Beyerdynamics Custom One Pro.

Is that any good? He says it should be as good or better.

Is that any good? He says it should be as good or better.

Yeah those should be better than M50's. I've heard some pretty good things about them.

They're pretty neat because they have a bass vent that has 3 different settings.

Beyerdynamic headphones in general are well known for being the most comfortable headphone's out there as well.

View user profile
Well, I am going to visit a shop in financial district (what? Bankers listening to high end audio? LoL. Wait, I'm one of them...) when I go to work. That shop has pretty much all the ones listed so far, according to him.

I've been watching some videos online, and saw detachable cable with built in mic. I THINK it's universal for all detachable cable headphones, but I might be wring. If its universal, you think it will have any impact on quality? I don't think it should if its not faulty build, but I may be wring.

But like I mentioned earlier check out Antlion Modmics. About $30 for a mic that you can attach to the side of any headphone to make it a headset. Although it does add an extra cable. But if you want a headphone without a detachable cable(most don't have them) this is probably the best option.

View user profile
I will definitely look into both options, if they have it. He has no idea whether the shop has anything like what I said, so lets see.

Chewy wrote:M50's were very highly praised on head-fi and such for a long time. Then they rose their price from the $120 they used to be and they started to receive some hate. Still plenty of love for them though.

I actually find the bass end a bit lacking. The Q40 are heavier.

View user profile
In the shop testing out M50 at the moment.

Edit: Testing COP

Edit: I've decided to go with COP

Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro & Astro A40 2013 Ed

Well, everyone's seen my computer plenty of times, but I did not take much picture of desktop. So I just said why not. You can see my PUNY speakers under/behind my monitor too. Laugh away~

Closer/different-angle. Of course, I am not going to block up my screen like that, its just for pics.

Now onto the headphone itself. I am really liking it. Did not think I would be enjoying it as much as I initially thought. It felt like I was wasting money for no real reason, but now I am actually glad I went through with it. The only downside is that my desk is too small to house both Beyerdynamics Custom One Pro and Astro A40 2013 Ed at the same time. I need to figure something out.

View user profile
unisyst wrote:ITT: Guy asks for entry level headphones, gets told to buy 300 dollar cans. lol!

$300 is entry level Cool

Anyways glad that you like them Storm. As for figuring out how you're going to solve your space issues, ditch the Astros.

View user profile

Yes 300 is entry level lol

Well, I am using COP as regular use, and have placed astro in the carry case for headset use.

I've checked out beyerdynamics website and they sell headset cable for COP, but I cannot find option to deliver it to HK. If there is no way, I might have to ask one of our members to help me out.

So, I just placed an order. Wonder how long its going to take. American site says its going to take 3~4 weeks for delivery, but Asia-Pacific site is not listing specific date.

Custom Headset Gear

When it arrives, I can really put Astro back into box.

So, I just placed an order. Wonder how long its going to take. American site says its going to take 3~4 weeks for delivery, but Asia-Pacific site is not listing specific date.

Custom Headset Gear

When it arrives, I can really put Astro back into box.

aww I want something like that for my Sennheisers.

goddamn it storm now I want those headphones Sad

View user profile
Just received a confirmation mail that it should take no more than 3 weeks.

I guess I will have to have my Astro handy for now.

And here it is.

The mic was well hidden in the package, so I thought they were either selling it separately (which angered me a little) or sent defect.

A little annoyed that it does not come with quarter inch adapter for mic.

Nice man

Took an awful long time to arrive haha

Holy jesus...2 months later. That was a hell of a three weeks Rolling Eyes .

So how do they sound?

View user profile
I cannot really say much about recording quality, as I have not done much testing. It performs the task well, at least.

I have found that it lacks mic mute switch on the wire, which can be annoying in open mic games. I suppose I will have to make some hotkey for muting mic.

I have found that it lacks mic mute switch on the wire, which can be annoying in open mic games. I suppose I will have to make some hotkey for muting mic.

Get yourself to radioshack (or maplins in England) and build a small circuit yourself that splits the mic / headphones and a switch to mute the mic.

I made something similar a few years ago, but was a box for pluggin in my headset and main speakers directly into the soundcard and i could swithh the output between the two with a switch.

View user profile
Unfortunately, I am not in US at the moment, and its sort of hard to find decent electrician around here.

I will figure something out eventually.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum